This recipe comes to us from our friend David Baldwin, Co-founder of Ponysaurus Brewing in Durham, North Carolina. This zero proof libation is perfect for special occasions and parties – the blue ice made with butterfly pea flowers is always well received by guests!
Makes one drink
• 4-6 Butterfly pea flower ice cubes (recipe below)
• 1.5 oz El Guapo® Tonic Syrup
• .5 oz Fresh lime juice
• .25 oz Seedlip Spiced Spirit
• .5 oz Lyre’s Dry London Spirit
• 3-4 dashes El Guapo® Polynesian Kiss Bitters
• Club soda
• Orchids or yard flowers, for garnish
In a clean tea towel on a firm surface, crush 4-6 ice cubes (regular cubes work, too!) with a mallet, hammer or ice cracker. Gently pour crushed bits of ice into a clean collins glass. Pour tonic, juice, spirits and bitters over ice, stirring gently with the back of a bar spoon before topping with club soda. Garnish with a single orchid or yard flower before serving. Cheers!
Butterfly Pea Ice
Makes ~12-15 ice cubes
• 1.5 c. filtered still water
• 2 oz Butterfly Pea Flower Tea
In a clean heavy bottomed sauce pot, bring filtered water to a gentle boil. Remove from heat and steep tea in water, either in a satchel or directly. Stir well to incorporate. Once cooled, strain tea into a measuring cup, and carefully pour into a clean ice mold. Freeze for at least two hours before using.